St. Andrew’s Cooperative Nursery School was established in 1968 as a parent cooperative. Parents volunteer in the classroom on a rotating schedule which is distributed at the beginning of the school year. For parents of children in the first-year class, this will mean 4 volunteer days per school year. For parents of children in the second-year class, this will mean 5 – 6 volunteer days per school year. Both mothers and fathers are encouraged to volunteer. On your parent-helper day, you will spend time with your child and his/her classmates, assist the teachers, and provide and serve the snack for the class. Parents may also volunteer to help on various committees, for special events in the classroom, or for school social events.
Our thematic curriculum is planned and implemented by both co-teachers, using a team teaching approach. Teachers work together to provide interesting and meaningful context through which children learn to make sense of their world. Typical themes are based on seasonal happenings, rich children’s literature, and other topics of interest to preschool children. Occasional field trips are also used to enhance learning.
- 8:30-8:45 // Free play
- 8:45-9:05 // Story time
- 9:05-9:50 // Table choices, creative projects, teacher-directed activities, and free play
- 9:50-10:00 // Clean-up
- 10:00-10:20 // Meeting time: calendar, weather, alphabet, and name activities.
- 10:15-10:25 // Bathroom/hand washing
- 10:25-10:45 // Snack time
- 10:45-11:30 // Outdoor Play: bikes, playhouses, climbing structure, slides, swing, sand play
- 11:30-12:00 // Circle time: songs, creative movement, and theme activities
- 12:00-2:00 // Extended day lunch program
The school year runs mid-September to mid-June. A Calendar will be available at the start of the school year. We follow a slightly modified Marblehead Public School calendar.
Our first-year class meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:30 am to 12:00 am, with an available third day option on Fridays.
Our second-year class meets on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 8:30 am to 12:00 am, with an available fourth day option on Wednesdays.
Our optional lunch programs is available Monday through Thursday from 12:00 to 2:00.